Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Dubliner Gig

Ah, the Dub.   I am fortunate to have a regular gig with my cover band at this Tustin venue.  Great staff, good food, roomy stage area protected by a railing which safeguards us from falling drunks and/or rowdy fans, which doesn't happen very often here, and the location is close to my house.  But it's not all fun and glamour.

Load in is challenging to say the least.  By the time we have our equipment in the bar, we are drenched with sweat, some of us possibly even smelling bad.  Then, we have to set up the equipment.  Seriously, after all these years you'd think I'd have some roadies...

I don't particularly enjoy carrying equipment in my stilettos with a face full of make up as on lookers pester me about start time, what type of music we play, if I am the singer, who in the band am I with (really?) and other annoying questions that usually I am not ready to answer because HELLO PEOPLE,  The Rocker has only so many brain cells functioning and right now, they are working overtime focusing on setting up the equipment correctly.

It's not that I don't enjoy talking to the crowd, of course I do, but there is a time and place.  Unfortunately, since I am not a famous rocker, I don't get to hide back stage while a crew sets up, demanding only green M & M's, Evian and fruit be placed before me.  Fellow musicians understand where I am coming from, don't you?

Over all, the show went well, despite the snotty 20 something crowd that patronizes that venue with their to cool to be seen, don't dare crack a smile or clap attitude.  It's annoying but also amusing.  They are sure missing out on life acting that way.  I do get girls hitting me up in the bathroom telling me they love the band, which is nice.  And, we usually get many requests for business cards, but you really wouldn't know they enjoyed us otherwise.  They are too cool to hoot and holler, even though I do see them moving ever so slightly back and forth to the beat of the songs.  Be careful, you don't want anyone to see you having a good time...ah, kids.

I was very excited to see a former co-worker of mine on this night, The Accountant, his lovely wife and beautiful adult children.  They were having a great time and The Accountant was in rare form, swigging shots of Patron.  That was a side I never had the opportunity to see when were were working together.  They were kind enough to send a few shots of Jack Daniels my way also.  They are good peeps in my book.

By the end of the night, I was starved so I asked if there was anything left in the kitchen, and wahlah! Chicken finger and fries, YUM.  That's gonna' cost me some extra time on the stair master.  Oh who am I kidding, I'm allergic to exercise.

Great, now it's time to pack up to do it all over again the next night.

No comments:

Post a Comment