Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Vanilla Lemon Drop

Right now I am enjoying a Vanilla Lemon Drop.  Yes, Lemon Drops are girlie drinks, of which I usually do not enjoy because girlie drinks are too sweet.  The Rocker usually prefers straight Jack Daniels, however this is one of my own creations and it rocks.

Mixing cocktails in my bar is a fun pass time for me, and what self respecting rocker wouldn't love playing bartender, particularly when it brings so much joy to friends and family?  I have a ton of my own concoctions, some of which may have already been invented at some bar, somewhere, but I am not aware such, which is why I have created them.  I don't think of myself as a sophisticated mixologist, though at a gig in LA not long ago, at the open bar (part of a perk of playing the party) I was asked if I was a mixologist because I ordered a vanilla vodka and pomegranate.  People this is LA!  Yes, I threw it together at home one night and thought it tasted great, but surely someone has ordered something more exotic prior where this guy has served?  Maybe not... Really, my libations are simple ideas derived from standards that I have put my spin on.

The recipe for the Vanilla Lemon Drop is such:


  • Vodka (use a good quality vodka, Stoli is the Rocker's fav.  Don't even start with me about Grey Goose, yes Kettle One is fine)
  • Fresh squeezed lemon juice (no lemon juice in the bottle, or the one in the shape of a lemon-FRESH)
  • Vanilla simple syrup (I make my own simple syrups because it saves money and it's easy)
  • Optional: Rim the Martini glass with sugar or vanilla sugar if you like your drinks sweeter, add a lemon zest curl or mint leaf for aesthetics


You will have to adjust the proportions to fit your taste buds, I'm not good at measuring so I tend to eye ball everything.  Also, a good quality vanilla vodka and plain simple syrup can be substituted, however vice-versa tastes better I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment