Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Who Says There's No Free Lunch?

There is if you are resourceful.  When you are unemployed, like The Rocker, and on a budget, it can be difficult to maintain the lifestyle you once lived prior to your brokeness.   I wasn't rich, but I was certainly comfortable.   Although I have been able to adjust, giving up certain comforts, I still find it is possible to eat like a king,  avoiding Hamburger Helper and .99 cent fast food.  


I timed my Monday visit to Costco for a prescription refill and refueling to coincide with their free food sample extravaganza that previously seemed to be reserved for the weekends.   There I am scarfing up a delicious FREE LUNCH.  My menu consisted of cheese tortellini, granola bar, string cheese, waffles with strawberry jam, oatmeal cookies, Moon cake, pita chips and several samples pomegranate Hansen's soda.  Mind you, several laps are necessary to fill your gullet.  


I hovered closely to the most popular items, the shrimp scampi and salmon, waiting in vain as batches of these premium samples simmered and sizzled, along with the other circling vultures.  Unfortunately, I was trampled in a stampede several times so I gave up on those.   


On my way out, I finished my lunch with a shot of the Johnny-Come-Lately super food, Acai berry, in a health drink concoction.  It looked like someone spilled A1 Steak Sauce into a cup of diarrhea.  Mercifully, it tasted better than it looked, having a prune-like flavor.   The sample dude was quick to offer up all its health properties, of which I am already aware, though I can't see myself shooting this everyday.  I can get the berry in other tastier forms, say perhaps, in an enema?!






No comments:

Post a Comment